150 g (6 oz) shortcrust or puff pastry
1 hare, jointed
4 oz (100 g) bacon, diced
salt and pepper
200 g (8 oz) onions, chopped
3 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
6 prunes, chopped (optional)
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
1/2 cup (50 g) 2 oz flour, sifted
1 pint (600 ml) stock
1 glass port
1. Fry the bacon and onions in a little of the butter and set aside.
2. Roll the joints of hare in seasoned flour and brown in butter.
3. Add with the prunes to the bacon and onions, and pour over the stock.
4. Adjust the seasoning and put in the bouquet garni.
5. Stir until the sauce reaches boiling point, then reduce the heat and simmer for an hour.
6. Transfer the hare and sauce to a deep pie dish and add the port.
7. Add a little redcurrant jelly if the sauce is not thick enough.
8. Roll out the pastry, putting a strip around the top of the dish, put on the lid, glaze and bake at 220°C, 425°F, mark 7 until the pastry is golden brown, about 30 - 35 minutes.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!