1. Roll out the pastry and line a flan tin.
2. Bake blind at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6 for 10 minutes.
3. Bring the milk to the boil and stir in the ground rice.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring well.
5. Beat 50 g (2 oz) of the butter to a cream, add the sugar and beat in the eggs a little at a time.
6. Add the milk and rice to the butter, egg and sugar mixture.
7. Pour into the flan case and sprinkle with the raisins.
8. Dot with the remainder of the butter and bake at 180°C, 350°F, mark 4 until the custard is set and golden brown.