200 g (8 oz) rich shortcrust pastry
1 lb (450 g) pumpkin
4 tablespoons milk or cream
1/2 level teaspoon each of salt, ground ginger, grated nutmeg, allspice, ground cloves
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz brown sugar
1. To prepare the pumpkin, cut off the rind and remove the seeds. Slice it.
2. Cook either in the top of a double saucepan or between two plates over a pan of boiling water.
3. This will take 15-20 minutes.
4. Drain thoroughly and mash or mix in an electric blender.
5. Roll out the pastry and line a flan tin or deep pie plate.
6. Beat the eggs with the sugar, add the pumpkin, milk or cream, and spices. Mix well.
7. Pour into the pastry case and cook in the centre of the oven at 220°C, 425°F, mark 7 for 15 minutes.
8. Reduce the temperature to 180°C, 350°F, mark 4 and bake for a further 25-30 minutes until the filling is set.
9. Serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!