1. This pie is made in a deep pie dish with a covering crust.
2. Wash, peel and core the apples and cut into rings 2 cm (1 in) thick.
3. Arrange these in a deep pie dish.
4. Add the lemon rind and two-thirds of the honey or sugar to the apples.
5. Grease the edge of the dish, roll out the pastry.
6. Attach a strip of pastry around the edge of the dish, dampen and fix on the lid.
7. Seal, decorate and glaze.
8. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6, then reduce the heat to 180°C, 300°F, mark 4 and bake for a further 20 minutes.
9. Heat the ale with the rest of the honey and the spices until hot but not boiling.
10. When the pie is cooked cut a hole in the crust and pour the mulled ale over the apples.