200 g (8 oz) flaky or rich shortcrust pastry
4 oz (100 g) seedless raisins
1 lb (450 g) apples, peeled and chopped
350 ml (13 fl oz) water
2 dessertspoons sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons cornflour
1/4 cup (25 g) 1 oz almonds, chopped
milk and sugar to glaze
1. Roll out the pastry into two circles, one rather thinner than the other, line the flan tin with the thinner one and reserve the other for the lid.
2. Wash the raisins and soak them in 300 ml (1/2 pint) of the water for about an hour.
3. Then put them with the soaking water into a pan.
4. Add the sugar and stew until soft.
5. Mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with the rest of the water.
6. Stir the syrup from the raisins into the cornflour.
7. Turn into a pan and boil for a few minutes stirring continuously.
8. Remove from the heat, add the drained raisins, lemon rind, almonds and the apples.
9. Spread the mixture in the pie. Cover with the lid, glaze.
10. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 220°C, 425°F, mark 7.