200 g (8 oz) rich shortcrust pastry
4 oz (100 g) bacon, chopped
salt and pepper
300 - 450 ml (1/2 - 3/4 pint) of cream or milk and cream mixed
2 oz (50 g) grated cheese (optional)
4 egg yolks or 2 eggs and 2 yolks
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint cream
pinch of nutmeg
1. Roll out the pastry and line a flan tin.
2. Bake blind for 15 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6. Brush with a little beaten egg.
3. Blanch the bacon in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and saute lightly in a little butter.
4. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl, add the cream and beat together.
5. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
6. Arrange the bacon and the cheese in the pastry case and pour over the eggs and cream.
7. Bake at 190°C, 375°F, mark 5 for about 30 minutes until the pastry is cooked and the filling golden brown.