Shropshire Pie is a deep-dish rabbit pie with wine and spices along with rabbit or chicken livers and is coated in breadcrumbs.
150 g (6 oz) shortcrust pastry
2 rabbits, jointed
150 g (6 oz) diced fatty bacon bits
3 oz (75 g) breadcrumbs
the livers from the rabbits or 4 oz (100 g) chicken livers
2 tablespoons milk
salt and pepper
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml red wine
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1. Fry the jointed rabbit in the butter.
2. Mince the livers, the bacon and the herbs togethers, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
3. Bind these ingredients together with the breadcrumbs which have been soaked in the milk and egg.
4. Shape this liver forcemeat into little balls and lay among the rabbit joints in the pie dish.
5. Add the red wine, made up if necessary with water, to just cover the rabbit.
6. Roll out the pastry and make a lid.
7. Close the pie, leaving a hole in the lid and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 180 - 190°C, 350 - 375°F, mark 4 - 5.
8. If the pastry is browning too soon, cover with foil.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!