200 g (8 oz) rich shortcrust pastry or savoury flan pastry
200 g (8 oz) cooked chicken
1 small onion
4 level tsp (20 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
1 teaspoon cream
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
1 x 285 g (10 1/2 oz) tin asparagus tips
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp (20 g) 3/4 oz butter
1 egg, beaten
1. Roll out the pastry and line a flan tin.
2. Bake blind at 200°C, 400F, mark 6 for 10 - 15 minutes.
3. Put the milk in a pan with the bay leaf and 4 peppercorns.
4. Bring slowly to the boil and then allow to stand for 5-10 minutes to infuse.
5. Make a white sauce by melting the butter, mixing in the flour and adding the strained milk.
6. Allow to cool slightly before mixing in the egg and cream.
7. Season with salt and nutmeg.
8. Chop the cooked chicken and mix into the sauce.
9. Drain the asparagus, reserving some tips to garnish the top of the flan; add the rest to the sauce.
10. Pour into the pastry case, decorate with asparagus tips and bake at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6 for 20 minutes until set and golden brown.