3 oz (75 g) short-grain rice
4 cups (32 fl oz) 900 ml milk
2 - 3 drops vanilla essence
1 egg white
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pint double cream, (heavy cream) whipped into soft peaks
1/3 cup (65 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
14 oz (400 g) can apricots in natural juice
2 tbsp Kirsch
1/2 cup (2 oz) flaked almonds, lightly toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) Gas Mk 3.
2. Place the rice, milk and vanilla essence in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes until the rice is soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
5. Whisk the egg white to form soft peaks and fold into the rice.
6. Fold in the whipped cream together with 2 oz (50 g) of the sugar.
7. Pile the rice mixture into an ovenproof dish.
8. Make a puree of the apricots in a blender, then stir in the remaining sugar and the Kirsch.
9. Spoon the puree over the top of the rice and sprinkle over the almonds.
10. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes and serve.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!