1 1/2 lb (675 g) onions, finely chopped
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
1/4 cup (1 oz) 30 g plain flour (All purpose)
2 pt (1.2 L) chicken or vegetable stock
8 button mushrooms, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 oz (75 g) Edam cheese
fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Sweat the onions without browning for about 5 minutes in the melted butter.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute, then add the hot stock gradually.
3. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes or until the onion is thoroughly cooked and soft.
4. Stir in the finely sliced button mushrooms and season to taste.
5. Simmer for about 4 minutes.
6. Ladle the soup into soup bowls, grate the cheese through a coarse grater on top of the soup and sprinkle with parsley.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!