2 large bunches Watercress (salad cress)
1/8 cup (30 g) 6 teaspoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cups (500 ml) (16 fl oz) vegetable stock
1/3 cup (60 g) 2 oz blanched almonds, toasted and ground
4 teaspoons cornflour
2 cups (500 ml) (16 fl oz) milk
salt and pepper
flaked almonds, lightly toasted, to garnish
1. Wash watercress and reserve a few sprigs for garnish. Cut away any coarse stalks and chop remainder.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan, add onion and cook gently until soft.
3. Add watercress and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in stock, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Puree in a blender or food processor and return to rinsed out pan with the ground almonds.
5. Blend cornflour with a little of the milk, then add to pan with remaining milk and cook gently over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring, until smooth.
6. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
7. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
8. Season, then serve garnished with a few toasted flaked almonds sprinkled on top and the reserved watercress sprigs.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!