1 lb (450 g) fresh spinach, trimmed
250 g (1/2 lb) feta cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper
14 sheets filo pastry
3/4 cup (170 g) butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Steam spinach leaves until limp. Cool, squeeze out all moisture.
3. Combine with cheese, shallots, onion and herbs.
4. In separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, salt and pepper.
5. Stir into spinach mixture.
6. Brush a 33 X 23 cm (13 X 9 in) baking tin with a little of the melted butter.
7. Lay a sheet of filo in tin and brush lightly with butter. Repeat using 6 more sheets.
8. Pour filling over filo layers.
9. Top with remaining filo sheets, brushing with melted butter.
10. Trim and tuck edges to neaten.
11. Bake 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
12. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.