4 chicken quarters
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices streaky bacon, derinded and cut into strips
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2/3 cup (50 g) button mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1 3/4 cup (14 fl oz) 450 ml hot chicken stock
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
12 oz (350 g) fresh peas
fresh parsley sprigs, to garnish
1. Rinse the chicken in cold water and dry thoroughly.
2. Rub salt and freshly ground black pepper into the meat.
3. Saute the bacon strips in a large, shallow, flameproof casserole over low heat until the fat runs and the bacon is cooked.
4. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
5. Add the butter to the casserole and put in the chicken, skin side down.
6. Cook gently, turning frequently, for 10-15 minutes until evenly browned.
7. Remove the chicken and keep aside.
8. Reduce to low heat. Put the onion and mushrooms into the casserole and cook, stirring, until softened.
9. Sprinkle in the flour, and stir to blend.
10. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
11. Gradually add the stock and the herbs and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
12. Replace the chicken and bacon in the casserole, cover and simmer over low heat for 50 minutes.
13. Add the peas to the casserole, cover and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the peas are cooked and the chicken is tender.
14. Skim any fat off the top and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!