3 cups (330 g) self raising (self rising) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml milk
2 teaspoons prepared American mustard
60 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup grated mature Cheddar cheese
185 g (6 oz) double Gloucester cheese with chives
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
6 teaspoons single (light) cream
2 teaspoons dry sherry
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) Gas 7.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
3. Mix together milk and mustard and pour onto the dry ingredients.
4. Mix everything together quickly to form a soft dough.
5. Put the dough onto a floured baking sheet and press out to make a rough circle about 4 cm (1 1/2 in) thick.
6. Mark into 8 using a sharp knife, sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
7. Lower the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6 for a further 20 minutes until well risen and golden.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
9. Mash together or process in a food processor the double Gloucester cheese, butter, cream, sherry and chives and pile into a pretty dish.
10. Serve the hot damper broken into pieces, with plenty of potted cheese.