1 2/3 cup (175 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1/2 teaspoon salt
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup cold water
24 spring onions
1/8 cup (30 g) 6 teaspoons butter
good pinch of cayenne pepper
125 g (4 oz) Gouda cheese, cut into 24 cubes
1 egg, beaten
vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Sift the flour with the salt, then add the water to make a firm dough. Knead for 5 minutes, until smooth. Wrap and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Chop the spring onions, including most of the green tops; there should be about 250 g (8 oz) 1 cup.
3. Gently saute onions in the butter until softened. Remove from the heat and add the cayenne pepper.
4. Shape the dough into 24 balls and roll each out into a circle about 10 cm (4 in) wide.
5. Spoon a little spring onion mixture on to each pastry circle, top with a cheese cube and brush edges with the beaten egg.
6. Fold pastry over the filling. Press edges together with a fork to seal.
7. Deep-fry the pastries, a few at a time, in hot oil until golden. Drain and serve warm.