1. Skin the onion and slice it thinly. Put the bacon on to grill or fry
2. Cut the peppers into quarters and remove the seeds and membranes. Slice the flesh thinly.
3. Drain canned pimentos and dice them.
4. Skin the tomatoes, cut them into quarters, de-seed and chop the flesh roughly.
5. Crush or chop the garlic, if used.
6. Melt the butter and fry the peppers (if used) for about 5 minutes, add the onions and garlic, and continue cooking gently for 5 minutes until softened.
7. Add the tomatoes and pimentos (if used) and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Season generously.
8. Beat the eggs lightly together with the milk, and when the vegetables are mushy, pour in the eggs.
9. Reduce the heat and cook gently, stirring all the time, until just set and creamy.
Serve at once with chunks of bread and fryed bacon rashers