1. Blend the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little of the milk, and bring the rest of the milk to the boil.
2. Pour the boiling milk on to the blended cornflour, stirring well.
3. Return the mixture to the pan, bring to the boil, and boil for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
4. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
5. Beat together the cream, vanilla essence, and eggs.
6. Stir into the cooled mixture.
7. Whisk over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the custard thickens; do not boil.
8. Add 25 g sugar and pour into a greased 600 ml flameproof dish.
9. Sprinkle the pudding with the rest of the sugar and a little cinnamon, if used.
10. Place under a hot grill for 10 minutes or until the sugar has melted and turned brown.
11. Keep the custard about 10cm from the heat.
12. Serve hot or cold.