serves 6 - 8
1 kg topside or rump or brisket of beef
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
3 oz (75 g) streaky bacon, without rinds
500 g onions
500 g tomatoes
1 green pepper (125 g approx)
a little beef stock or water (optional)
1. Wipe, trim, and tie the meat into a neat shape, if necessary.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lay the rashers in the bottom of an ovenproof casserole. Place the meat on the bacon.
4. Skin and slice the onions and tomatoes.
5. De seed and slice the pepper.
6. Cover the meat with the vegetables.
7. Cover the casserole with a tight fitting lid and cook in a warm oven, 160°C, gas mark 3, for about 2 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender.
8. Lift out the meat, remove the string, and cut the meat into slices.
9. Arrange the slices on a warmed serving dish and keep hot.
10. Rub the onions, tomatoes, and pepper through a sieve into a saucepan and re heat to form a sauce, thinning with a little stock or water, if necessary.
11. Pour the sauce round the beef slices.