300 g boned hand and spring or blade of lean pork
200 g (7 oz) belly or salt belly of pork
100 g lean bacon, without rinds
salt and pepper
a pinch of ground mace
a pinch of dried thyme
1 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tbsp soft white breadcrumbs
puff pastry using 1 1/3 cup (200 g) flour
flour for rolling out
1 tbsp water
1. Remove the rind of the pork if necessary. Wipe the meat.
2. Mince all the meat together finely. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the mace, thyme, and parsley, and mix in the breadcrumbs.
3. Cut off one third of the pastry for the lid.
4. Roll out the rest on a lightly floured surface.
5. Line a deep 23cm pie plate with the pastry.
6. Separate the egg, and brush the white over the surface of the pastry.
7. Cover with the meat filling.
8. Roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid.
9. Dampen the pie edge with cold water, put the lid in position and press the edges together to seal.
10. Mix the egg yolk with the water and brush it over the top of the pie.
11. Bake in a hot oven, 220°C, Gas 7, for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderate, 180°C, Gas 4, and cook for a further 45 minutes.