1. Divide the pastry into 6 portions.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll each out into a round.
3. Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar.
4. Peel and core the apples and put each on a round of pastry.
5. Fill the apple cavity with the sugar mixture, and press 2 cloves into the top of each apple, if liked.
6. Work the pastry round the apple to enclose it, moisten the edges and press well together, leaving the cloves sticking out.
7. Place the dumplings on a baking tray.
8. Brush them with milk and dredge with the caster sugar.
9. Bake in a fairly hot oven at 200°C, Gas 6, for 30-35 minutes or until the apples are tender.
10. Serve with single cream.