Preparation time 20 minutes,
Cooking time 2 - 2 1/2 hours,
Oven temperature 190°C, 375°F, gas 5,
Calories 200 per portion
1.75 - 2.25 kg (4 - 5 lb) duck
300 ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
for the sauce
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil
25 g (1 oz) plain flour
150 ml (1/4 pint) orange juice
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
salt and pepper
1. Weigh the duck and calculate the cooking time. Allow 30 minutes per 450 g (1 lb). Rub the salt over the duck.
2. Place the duck on a wire rack in a roasting tin and roast in a moderately hot oven for the calculated time.
3. Remove the duck from the oven and place on a hot serving dish to keep warm. Pour off the fat and reserve any juices from the tin.
4. To make the sauce: fry the onion in the oil until soft, add the flour and gradually blend in the orange juice, stock and reserved juices.
5. Bring the sauce to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes, then add the brandy, if using, and seasoning.
6. Serve the duck garnished with orange slices and watercress sprigs and serve the sauce separately.
For a really crisp skin and moist, tender flesh, cook duck in microwave oven for 25 minutes, turning dish once. Remove from dish and cook on rack in roasting tin in a very hot oven for a further 25 minutes.
103 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!