Bubble and Squeak is a great potato and cabbage combination. The name comes from the squeaky noise made by the cabbage as it is fried. Bubble and Squeak normally proves to be a life-saver for feeding kids who won't normally eat cabbage.
1 small cabbage
1 lb (450 g) cooked potatoes
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
salt and pepper to taste
leftover vegetables, if available, cooked
bacon fat or beef dripping (fat from roasted meat) for frying
1. Cut, core and finely shred the cabbage.
2. Wash it well then plunge into boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a collander.
3. Mash the potatoes, butter, salt and pepper.
4. When smooth add the cabbage together with any leftover vegetables and mix well.
5. Using a potato scoop as a measure, divide the mixture into about 6 portions.
6. Place in hot fat and flatten.
7. Fry for about 5 minutes, turn over and fry the other side for about 5 minutes.
8. Serve piping hot.
12 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!