One of the all-time favourites, homemade Potato salad should be made with firm, waxy potatoes. These will not crumble when mixed with the mayonnaise. For a change, try using soured cream instead of mayonnaise, or add 50 g (2 oz) cubed Gruyere or Emmenthal cheese to the salad before coating in the mayonnaise.
Approx. 3/4 kg (1 1/2 lb). new potatoes or 1 x 539g. (1 lb 3 oz) can new potatoes, drained
1 bunch of spring onions, topped, tailed and finely chopped 150 ml (1/4 pint) thick homemade mayonnaise
1 tbsp lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp freshly chopped mint or parsley to finish
1. Cook the potatoes in their skins in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until just tender.
2. Remove from the water and allow to cool slightly. Peel off the skin.
3. Cut the cooked or canned potatoes into chunks and place in a mixing bowl with the spring onions.
4. Pour in the mayonnaise and lemon juice and add black pepper to taste.
5. Coat the potato slices carefully in the mayonnaise, folding it in with a large metal spoon. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with more black pepper and the chopped mint or parsley.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!