about 1.1 kg (2 1/2 lb) turkey leg meat on the bone
7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) ground cumin
7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) ground coriander
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground turmeric
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground ginger
salt and freshly ground pepper
300 g (10 fl oz) natural yogurt
30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
45 ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
225 g (8 oz) onions, skinned and sliced
45 ml (3 tbsp) desiccated coconut
30 ml (2 tbsp) plain flour
150 ml (1/4 pint) chicken stock or water chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Cut the turkey meat off the bone into large fork-sized pieces, discarding the skin; there should be about 900 g (2 lb) meat.
2. In a large bowl, mix the spices with the seasoning, yogurt and lemon juice. Stir well until evenly blended.
3. Fold through the turkey meat until coated with the yogurt mixture. Cover tightly with cling film and refrigerate for several hours.
4. Heat the oil in a medium flameproof casserole and lightly brown the onion. Add the coconut and flour and fry gently, stirring, for about 1 minute.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the turkey with its marinade and the stock. Return to the heat and bring slowly to the boil, stirring all the time. Cover tightly and cook in the oven at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for 1 - 1 1/4 hours, or until the turkey is tender.
6. Adjust the seasoning and serve garnished with parsley.