4 - 6 servings
1 kg (2 lb) Potatoes
25 g (1 oz) 2 Tbs Butter, softened
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
75 g (3 oz) 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
50 g (2 oz) Cooked ham, finely diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Grated nutmeg
75 g (3 oz) 1 cup Fine dry breadcrumbs
Sufficient vegetable oil for deep-frying
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are tender. Drain and mash them. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat in the butter, half the beaten egg mixture, the grated cheese, ham, seasoning and nutmeg until the mixture is well blended.
2. Using your hands, form the mixture into sausage shapes about 5 cm (2 in) long. Arrange on a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
3. Put the remaining beaten egg in one shallow dish and the breadcrumbs in another. Remove the croquettes from the refrigerator and dip them, one by one, first in the eggs then in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
4. Fill a large deep-frying pan one-third full with oil and heat until it reaches 190°C (375°F) on a deep-fat thermometer, or until a small cube of stale bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 40 seconds.
5. Carefully lower the croquettes into the oil, a few at a time, and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they are golden brown. As they are cooked, transfer to kitchen towels to drain and keep hot while you cook the remaining croquettes in the same way. Serving piping hot.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!