545 Calories per portion
4 medium courgettes, halved
50 g (2 oz) butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
75 g (3 oz) long grain brown rice, cooked
3 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
200 g (1 oz) can sweetcorn kernels, drained
1 teaspoon prepared English mustard
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
100 g (4 oz) English Cheddar, grated
4 tablespoons fresh single cream
25 g (1 oz) flour
300 ml (1/2 pint) fresh milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g (2 oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1. Cook courgettes in boiling water for 10
minutes. Drain, scoop out flesh, then place
in a buttered ovenproof dish.
2. Melt 25 g (1 oz) butter in a saucepan and
cook onion and bacon until soft.
3. Add rice, tomatoes, sweetcorn, mustard,
parsley, 50 g (2 oz) cheese and cream. Fill
4. Place remaining butter, flour and milk in a pan. Heat, stirring until sauce thickens, boils and is smooth. Cook for a minute, season. Pour over the courgettes.
5. Mix breadcrumbs with remaining cheese, sprinkle with sauce.
6. Bake at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!