1. Shred the beef finely, trimming off all the fat.
2. Soak the meat in the water for 15 minutes.
3. Prepare the vegetables.
4. Put the meat, water, and the rest of the ingredients into a deep saucepan, adding the egg white and shell last.
5. Heat slowly to simmering point, whisking all the time, until a froth rises to the surface.
6. Remove the whisk, cover, and simmer the consomme very gently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
7. Do not allow to boil or the froth will break up and cloud the consomme.
8. Strain slowly into a basin through muslin or a scalded jelly bag.
9. If necessary, strain the consomme again. Re heat, re season if required, and serve plain or with a garnish.