1. Soak the prunes in cold water overnight.
2. Break or crack the bones in the spare ribs, then wipe off any splinters of bone.
3. Sprinkle the meat with salt, pepper, and ginger.
4. Place the ribs on a rack in a roasting tin, and bake in a moderate oven, 180°C, Gas 4, for 45 minutes.
5. Remove the meat and pour off the fat.
6. Peel, core and slice the apples.
7. Drain, then halve and stone the prunes.
8. Layer the apples and prunes in the bottom of a casserole, and place the spare ribs on top, bone side up.
9. Heat the stock to boiling point and pour it over the meat.
10. Bake in a moderate oven, 180°C, Gas 4, for 30 minutes.
11. Turn the ribs over and increase the heat to fairly hot, 200°C, Gas 6; bake for a further 30 minutes to brown the spare ribs well.
12. Remove the meat, cut it into serving portions, and place them on a warmed serving dish.
13. Drain the apples and prunes and arrange them around the meat.
14. Strain the gravy and serve it separately.