Coleslaw is a very popular salad to eat with cooked meats and quiches. Try making it at home - it's quick and cheap to make, and a little goes a long way.
1/2 large white cabbage (approx. 1/4 kg (1/2 lb).), shredded finely
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
1 medium-sized onion, peeled and chopped
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and sliced (optional)
150 ml (1/4 pint) thick homemade mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put all the vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise and stir to combine.
2. Stir in the lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper and continue stirring until all the vegetables are evenly coated in the mayonnaise.
3. Transfer to a serving dish. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until required.
1/2 white cabbage, trimmed and finely shredded
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
1 large onion, skinned and finely chopped
45 ml (3 tbsp) chopped parsley
4 sticks celery, trimmed and sliced
salt and freshly ground pepper
200 ml (7 fl oz) salad cream
watercress, to garnish (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, onion, parsley and celery, tossing well together.
2. Season the salad cream well, pour over the vegetables and toss until well coated.
3. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving. Garnish with watercress, if wished.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!