4 partridges, each weighing approx. 600 g (1 1/4 lbs)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp clarified butter
1 kg (2 1/4 lbs) Savoy cabbage
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
200 g (7 oz) small onions
1 large carrot
4 oz (100 g) streaky bacon
1. Wash and dry partridges, then rub well with salt and pepper
2. Heat 2 tbsp clarified butter and sear partridges thoroughly. Add 3 tbsp water, cover and cook very gently for 15 minutes.
3. Quarter cabbage and remove hard core before chopping coarsely. Saute briefly in 1 tbsp clarified butter, add 3 tbsp water, marjoram, bay leaf and 1 peeled onion with clove-spiked bay leaf; cover and braise for 20 minutes until tender.
4. Cut partridges in half.
5. Peel remaining onions, and carrot, chop both with bacon and saute in remaining clarified butter.
6. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6. Put half cabbage into large ovenproof dish, place halved partridges on top, sprinkle with bacon mixture and finish off with remaining cabbage.
7. Pour cooking juices from game over dish, seal well with aluminium foil and cook in oven for 30 minutes longer.