8 lambs' kidneys 8 streaky bacon rashers
for the marinade
2 tbsp oil
4 tbsp dry vermouth
1/2 level tsp dried thyme or 1 level tsp fresh, chopped thyme leaves
1 level tsp salt, Freshly ground black pepper
1 large red pepper 1 large green pepper
1. Mix together all the marinade ingredients. Cut each kidney in half, then use scissors to remove the core. Place the kidneys in a container and pour over the marinade.
2. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, and turn the container upside down to coat the kidneys with the marinade. Leave to stand for 6-12 hours, turning occasionally.
3. Strain the kidneys, reserving the marinade. Remove the bacon rind. Stretch the rashers with a round-bladed knife until they are double their length, then cut in half. Wrap each half piece of bacon round each half of kidney.
4. Cut the peppers in half and remove the core and seeds. Cut the flesh into 20 pieces of red pepper and 20 pieces of green.
5. With long thin skewers, pierce first a piece of red pepper, then a piece of green pepper, then a wrapped kidney. Repeat, using 5 pieces of each pepper (i.e. 10 pieces of pepper in total) and 4 wrapped kidneys on each skewer.
6. Place the kebabs in a grill pan and brush with a little of the marinade. Cook under a moderately hot grill for 7-8 minutes.
7. Turn the kebabs over, brush again with marinade and grill for a further 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep hot.
8. Pour the remaining marinade into the pan and heat, blending with the juices from the kebabs.
9. Accompaniments: Serve with rice and the marinade sauce poured over the top.