6 rib-eye steaks
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
for the marinade
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
125 ml (4 fl oz) vinegar
3 tbsp soft brown sugar
5 tsp coarse-grained mustard
13 oz (410 g) canned whole tomatoes, chopped
1. Mix marinade ingredients and marinate meat for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Place on the rack of a grill pan and cook 10 cm (4 inches) under a pre-heated grill for 5 to 7 minutes in total (rare) or 7 to 10 minutes in total (medium).
4. Baste meat with remaining marinade during last 3 minutes of the cooking time.
5. Season meat with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.