makes 6 cakes
4 oz (100 g) puff or flaky pastry
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter, softened
2 tbsp (23 g) soft brown sugar
25 g (1 oz) finely chopped mixed peel
2 oz (50 g) currants
1. Roll out the pastry thinly and cut into 9-cm (3 1/2-inch) rounds.
2. Mix together the ingredients for the filling and place a small spoonful of mixture in the centre of each pastry round.
3. Draw up the pastry edges together and re-shape into a round. Turn it over and roll lightly until the currants just show through.
4. Score in a lattice pattern with a knife. Allow the cakes to 'rest' on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes in a cool place.
5. Brush with egg white and dredge with caster sugar.
6. Bake in the oven at 230°C (450°F) mark 8 for about 15 minutes until golden.
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!