makes 10 litres
3.5 kg beef bones, chopped into small pieces any fat removed
250 g carrot roughly cut
250 g onion roughly cut
150 g leek roughly cut
250 g celery roughly cut
10 litres water
100 g mushroom trimmings
1 sprig thyme
1. Brown the bones in fat in the oven, then strain off all the fat.
2. Brown the vegetables in the same fat in a frying pan on top of the stove or in the oven, then strain.
3. Place the bones and vegetables in a stockpot, cover with the cold water and bring slowly to the boil.
4. Remove any scum that rises to the surface.
5. Add the bouquet garni and peppercorns.
6. Simmer gently for 3-4 hours, continuously removing all traces of scum and grease.
7. Strain through a conical strainer into a clean saucepan, reboil and use as required or cool as rapidly as possible and place in a refrigerator at 7°C until required.