175 g (6 oz) shortcrust pastry
4 streaky bacon rashers, rinded and chopped
4 tbsp (60 ml) milk
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tomatoes, or 4 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1. Divide the pastry into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other.
2. Roll out the larger piece and use to line an 88 cm (7-inch) deep pie plate.
3. Roll out the remaining pastry for a lid.
4. Fry the bacon lightly in its own fat until transparent; spread over the base of the pie.
5. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, add the milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the bacon and add the tomatoes or mushrooms (if used).
6. Dampen the pastry edges and cover with the lid, sealing the edges well.
7. Trim and finish. Brush the top of the pie with the little egg that remains in the bowl.
8. Bake in the oven at 210°C (425°F) mark 7 for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F) mark 4 and cook for a further 30 minutes.
9. Serve hot or cold.