serves 6 - 8
2 lb (900 g) stewing steak
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) 40 g flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 oz (50g) margarine
1 level tbsp curry powder
1 level tbsp paprika pepper
1/2 pt (300ml) water
1 beef bouillon cube (stock cube) crumbled
2 dried red chilli peppers
1 tbsp mango chutney
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 lb (454 g) can of pineapple cubes
1. Trim any fat from the beef, cut the lean meat into neat 3/4 in. (2cm) cubes and toss in the flour and salt.
2. Place the onion in a saucepan with the margarine and fry gently for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the curry powder and paprika pepper and fry for a further 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the pieces of beef, increase the heat and fry quickly to seal the juices. Add to the pan all the remaining ingredients including the pineapple syrup and bring to the boil, stirring until blended.
4. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer very gently for about 2 hours or until the beef is really tender.
5. If preferred, the curry may be turned into a heatproof casserole and cooked in the oven at 325°F (160°C) mark 3 for about 2 hours.
6. Taste and check seasoning. Remove the bayleaves and chilli peppers.
Accompaniments: Serve with plain boiled rice and a selection of side dishes such as poppadoms, mango chutney, coconut, bananas, yogurt and sliced tomatoes and onions.