A delicious bread using bananas. Note: This is a quick method of making this old favourite.
The texture may not be as fine as the traditional creaming method, but if you do not over-beat the mixture once the liquid ingredients are added, the difference will be minimal.
makes one 2 lb (1 kg) loaf
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
90 g (3 oz) butter
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup milk
2 large or 3 small ripe bananas, mashed
1. Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl, stir in sugar.
2. Rub butter into flour with fingertips until well combined.
3. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in milk and add to flour mixture with lightly beaten egg and mashed banana.
4. Stir until thoroughly blended and spread in a greased and floured 25 x 15 cm (10 x 6 inch) loaf tin.
5. Bake in a moderate oven 180-190°C (350-375°F) for 50 to 60 minutes until cooked when tested. until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Turn onto wire rack to cool. Serve sliced with butter.
17 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!