serves 2 - 4
2 slices bread
100 g mild Cheddar cheese
4 tbsp milk
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter or hard block margarine
1 tsp mild white vinegar
1 tsp made English mustard
salt and pepper
chopped, rinsed anchovy fillets as required
butter for spreading
1. Toast the bread lightly on both sides.
2. Butter one side of each slice.
3. Grate the cheese finely.
4. Put the cheese, milk and fat into a saucepan, and cook over gentle heat, stirring all the time, until the cheese has melted and the mixture is well blended and creamy.
5. Mix in the vinegar and mustard, and season to taste.
6. Add the anchovy fillets. Pile the mixture on the buttered side of each slice of toast.
7. Serve as it is, or grill briefly, using moderate heat, to brown the surface.