serves 10 - 12
1.25-1.5kg boned and rolled brisket of beef
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 medium sized carrots (100 g approx)
2 medium sized onions (200 g approx)
1 turnip (100 g approx)
2-3 sticks celery (150 g approx) (optional)
1 blade of mace
10 black peppercorns
for the sauce
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter or dripping (fat from roasted meat)
3 tbsp (25 g) plain flour
salt and pepper
1. Wipe the meat.
2. Mix the vinegar with 1/4 tsp salt, rub it over the meat and leave for 2-3 hours.
3. Put the meat in a stewpan, just cover with water, add 1/4 tsp salt, heat to boiling point, and skim well.
4. Reduce the heat to simmering point, cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables and cut them into thick slices.
6. Add to the pan at the end of the 30 minutes, together with the mace, peppercorns, and bouquet garni.
7. Re heat to simmering point, replace the lid and simmer very gently for another 2 hours.
8. When cooked, take the meat and the vegetables out of the pan, transfer them to a warmed serving dish, and keep hot.
9. Make the sauce. Strain the stock left in the pan and make it up to 375 ml with water if necessary.
10. Melt the butter or dripping in a small saucepan.
11. Stir in the flour and cook gently until browned.
12. Draw the pan off the heat and gradually stir the stock into the roux.
13. Return to the heat, bring to the boil, stirring all the time, and boil for 2-3 minutes.
14. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
15. Serve the vegetables with the meat, and offer the sauce in a sauce-boat.