700 - 900 g (1 1/2 - 2 lb) round, rump or fillet steak, in a piece
12 raw oysters
2/3 cup (50 g) mushrooms, finely sliced, optional
salt and cayenne pepper
olive oil or butter
1. Choose a piece of the very best rump or fillet steak, cut at least 5 cm (2 in) thick.
2. Slit the steak through its thickness so that it opens like a book. Fill with the raw oysters.
2. Cover these with the mushrooms (if used) and sprinkle with a very little salt and some cayenne pepper.
3. Sew up with fine white string, so that neither the filling nor the juice can escape.
4. Rub the steak over on both sides with oil or melted butterand grill under a quick grill for 5-6 minutes on each side.
5. When the meat has browned, finish cooking for a further 10 minutes or so, according to the degree of rareness' desired.
46 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!