Grill or fry the bacon
1. Grate the cheese.
2. Melt the fat in a pan, and stir in the flour.
3. Cook together for 2-3 minutes, stirring all the time; do not let the flour colour.
4. Stir in the milk and blend to a smooth, thick mixture; then stir in the ale or beer, if used, the mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
5. Add the cheese little by little, stir in, and season to taste.
6. Remove from the heat as soon as well blended.
7. Remove the crusts from the bread and toast lightly on both sides.
8. Butter one side well and spread the cheese mixture on the buttered sides.
9. Grill briefly, if liked, using high heat, to brown the surface of the cheese mixture.
Top each with a rasher of bacon