1 lb (450 g) braising steak, cubed
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 1/4 cups (10 fl oz) 300 ml strong beer, hot
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt beef stock, hot
1 lb (450 g) new potatoes, left in their jackets or scraped
1 1/3 cup (165 g) button mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
8 oz (225 g) potato puff pastry
1. Heat the oil and brown the cubed braising steak. Remove the steak but keep warm.
2. Fry the sliced onion until lightly browned.
3. Add the steak to the onion, pour over the hot beer and stock.
4. Cook for about 45 minutes.
5. Add the new potatoes, button mushrooms and parsley, season to taste and cook for a further 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
6. When cold put the mixture in a pie dish, with a pie funnel placed in the centre.
7. Cover with the pastry and cut the trimmings into suitable shapes for a garnish.
8. Brush with cold milk and bake in the oven gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C) for 45 minutes.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!