100 g digestive biscuits
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
2 tbsp (25 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
for the filling
200 g (7 oz) full fat soft cheese
1/3 cup (65 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
125 ml soured cream
15 g gelatine
1/4 cup (2 fl oz) 50 ml water
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
for the decoration
crystallized lemon slices
to make the base
1. Crush the biscuits finely with a rolling pin.
2. Melt the butter and mix in the crumbs and sugar.
3. Press the mixture on to the base of a 17cm loose bottomed cake tin.
4. Put in a cool place to set.
to make the filling
1. Beat the cheese and sugar together.
2. Separate the eggs, and beat the yolks into the cheese mixture.
3. Stir in the soured cream.
4. Soften the gelatine in the water in a small heatproof basin.
5. Stand the basin in a pan of hot water and stir until the gelatine dissolves.
6. Stir the lemon rind, juice, and gelatine into the cheese mixture.
7. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold carefully into the mixture.
8. Pour into the prepared tin and chill for 45 minutes - 1 hour until firm.
9. Remove from the tin and decorate with whipped cream and crystallized lemon slices.