2 lb (900 g) potatoes, peeled
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
45ml (3 tbsps) milk
25g (1 oz) lard
100g (4 oz) onion, skinned and chopped
450g (1 lb) minced beef
100g (4 oz) lean bacon rashers, rinded and minced
1 tbsp (15 g) flour
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt beef stock
225g (1/2 lb) small tomatoes, skinned
112g (4 oz) pkt frozen peas
salt and pepper
1. Boil the potatoes, cream with the butter and milk and season to taste.
2. Heat the lard in a frying pan and fry the onion until golden brown. Add the minced beef and bacon and cook gently, mixing with a fork, for 5 minutes.
3. Season, add the flour and mix well.
4. Stir in the stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Place half the mince mixture in the base of a 1.4l (2.12 pt) ovenproof casserole. Arrange the tomatoes on top, then add the peas and the remaining mince.
6. Pipe on the creamed potato (using a piping bag fitted with a large star vegetable nozzle).
7. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 40 minutes, until golden on top.
28 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!