serves 4 - 6
100 g lean shin of beef
125 ml water
1 small onion (50 g approx)
1 small carrot (25 g approx)
1 small stick of celery (25 g approx)
1.25 litres cold brown stock
1/4 tsp salt
4 white peppercorns
white and crushed shell of 1 egg
for the consomme brunoise
1 X 2.5ml spoon lemon juice
1 tbsp sherry (optional)
for the garnish
1 tbsp finely diced carrot
1 tbsp finely diced turnip
1 tbsp finely diced green leek
to make the consomme
1. Shred the beef finely, trimming off all the fat.
2. Soak the meat in the water for 15 minutes.
3. Prepare the vegetables.
4. Put the meat, water, and the rest of the ingredients into a deep saucepan, adding the egg white and shell last.
5. Heat slowly to simmering point, whisking all the time, until a froth rises to the surface.
6. Remove the whisk, cover, and simmer the consomme very gently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
7. Do not allow to boil or the froth will break up and cloud the consomme.
8. Strain slowly into a basin through muslin or a scalded jelly bag.
9. If necessary, strain the consomme again. Re heat, re season if required, and serve plain or with a garnish.
to make the consomme brunoise
1. Cook the diced vegetables for the garnish very carefully in boiling salted water until just tender.
2. Drain and rinse the vegetables; then put them into a warmed tureen.
3. Meanwhile, heat the consomme to boiling point and add the lemon juice and sherry, if used.
4. Pour the hot consomme over the diced vegetables, and serve.