1. Cut the crusts off the Camembert or Brie cheese.
2. Sieve or mash with the cottage or curd cheese until both are smooth and well blended.
3. Soften the gelatine in the milk in a small heatproof container.
4. Stand the container in very hot water, and stir until the gelatine dissolves.
5. Leave to cool, then mix with the cheeses and seasoning. Chill.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
7. When the cheese mixture is beginning to set at the edges, fold in the egg whites lightly but thoroughly.
8. Turn into a wetted 500 ml souffle dish, and chill until set.