serves 6 - 8
750 g - 1 kg fillet (Tenderloin) or boned sirloin or topside of beef
fat for greasing
for the marinade
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
1 tsp chopped onion
1 tsp chopped parsley
2 tsp meat glaze
250 ml demi-glace sauce
a pinch of dried mixed herbs
a pinch of ground cloves
a pinch of ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1. Make the marinade first by mixing all the ingredients together.
2. Wipe, trim, and tie the meat into a neat shape.
3. Place the meat in a bowl, pour the marinade over and leave it to soak for 2-3 hours, turning and basting frequently.
4. Cut a sheet of foil large enough to form a parcel round the meat, and grease it well.
5. Lay the foil in an ovenproof dish with sides so that it forms a container, and place the meat in the centre of it; use the marinade also.
6. Fold the foil round the meat and seal the edges to form a parcel.
7. Roast the beef in a fairly hot oven, 190°C, gas mark 5, for 1 hour for fillet, and 1 1/2 hours for sirloin or topside.
8. Open the foil for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time to let the meat brown.
9. Lift out the meat, place it on a warmed serving dish and remove the string.
10. Brush with demi glace sauce.
11. If liked, a little of the sauce can also be poured round the dish, the rest being served separately.
12. Serve with cold horseradish cream, as well as the demi-glace sauce.