20 g (1/4 oz fresh yeast or 1 1/2 tsp dried
125 ml (4 fl oz) tepid water
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 1/4 cup (250 g) plain flour (All purpose)
for the topping
1 small onion, sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 yellow (bell) pepper, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
175 g (6 oz) lean minced (ground) beef
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
220 g (7 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
1 quantity tomato sauce
30 g (1 oz) jalapeno chillies, sliced
60 g (2 oz) Mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
60 g (2 oz) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
olive oil for drizzling
salt and pepper
chopped parsley to garnish
to make the deep pan dough base
1. Combine the fresh yeast with the water and sugar in a bowl.
2. If using dried yeast, sprinkle it over the surface of the water and whisk in until dissolved.
3. Leave the mixture to rest in a warm place for 10-15 minutes until frothy on the surface.
4. Stir in the olive oil.
5. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl.
6. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast liquid, or water and oil.
7. Using either floured hands or a wooden spoon, mix together to form a dough.
8. Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
9. Place in a large greased plastic bag and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
10. Turn out on to a lightly floured work surface and 'knock back' by punching the dough.
11. This releases any air bubbles which would make the pizza uneven.
12. Knead 4 or 5 times. The dough is now ready to use
to make the topping
1. Roll out or press the dough, using a rolling pin or your hands, into a 23 cm (9 in) circle on a lightly floured work surface.
2. Place on a pizza pan and push up the edge to fit and form a small ridge.
3. Cover and leave to rise slightly for about 10 minutes.
4. Fry the onion, garlic and (bell) pepper gently in the oil for 5 minutes until softened but not browned.
5. Increase the heat slightly and add the beef, chilli and cumin.
6. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove from the heat and stir in the kidney beans. Season well.
8. Spread the tomato sauce over the dough to amost the edge and add the meat mixture
9. Top with the sliced chillies and Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle over the grated cheese.
10. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6 for 18-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
12. Serve immediately sprinkled with chopped parsley.
103 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!