800-900g pig's fry (sweetbreads, heart, liver, lights, melts)
1 small onion (50 g approx)
flour for coating
1 tsp dried sage
fat for shallow frying
1. Prepare the sweetbreads (pi74) and the heart (p!47).
2. Remove the skin and tubes of the liver.
3. Lights need no preparation.
4. Trim excess fat and skin off the melts.
5. Put the fry in a saucepan with just enough water to cover it.
6. Salt lightly.
7. Skin and add the onion.
8. Heat to boiling point, skim, reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
9. Drain, dry thoroughly, and cut all the meats into thin slices.
10. Season the flour with salt, pepper and sage, and use it to coat the slices lightly.
11. Heat the fat in a frying pan, put in the slices, and fry gently, turning once, until browned on both sides.
12. Serve with a well flavoured thickened gravy or with fried apple slices (p72) and crab-apple jelly.
16 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!