1. Wipe the meat and cut it into neat chops.
2. Remove the bones and any excess fat.
3. Place the meat in a casserole so that it is about half full.
4. Skin and slice the onion thinly and put it on top of the meat.
5. Pour in just enough stock to cover the meat and onions. Season well.
6. Cover the casserole with a lid, and cook in a moderate oven, 180°C, Gas 4, for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
7. Roll out the suet crust pastry on a lightly floured surface so that it is a little smaller than the top of the casserole.
8. Lay it on top of the meat, replace the lid, and cook gently for a further 1 hour.
9. Before serving, divide the pastry crust into serving portions.
Note This dish can also be cooked over heat.